Eesti mõisad
 Gutshöfe Estlands
 Viron Kartanot
Estonian Manors
Porkuni Manor
  Start page

  Sitemap


  List

  Alphabetical

  By parishes and
  historical counties


  By contemporary
  local municipalities



  General

  Various meanings
  of manor


  Types of manors

  Manor complex

Estonian manors
Schloß Borkholm in Kirchspiel Klein-St. Marien, Wierland

In 1479, a manor (stronghold) of the Bishop of Tallinn (Reval) was established on an island in Lake Porkuni. Only the gate tower has been preserved, which accommodates the Paemuuseum (the Lime Museum). Later, the manor was associated with the von Tiesenhausens, von Ungern-Sternbergs, von Essens and the Edler von Rennenkampffs. In the stylish Historicist main building, completed in 1874, there is a school for people with impaired hearing.

Additional information (museum): ph. +372 329 3881, +372 514 4836.


By the historical distribution the manor was in Väike-Maarja Parish in Virumaa County. By the present administrative distribution it belongs to the Tamsalu Municipality in Lääne-Virumaa County.

Copyright 1999-2013 © Valdo Praust and Alt-Livland NGO. All Rights Reserved
Translation © 2006 Estonian Association of Masters in Conference Interpreting and Translation
Without limiting the rights under copyright, no part of this website may be reproduced
mois@mois.ee